Tuesday 12/17/19 Crafting

Day 10 Costa Rica

Handmade from palm leaf fibers 
I purchased this bag from Lucia the other day and it has put in some good work. I can fit almost everything in it including my water bottle. I chose this bag because the design is similar to one in my tribe. It is the sturgeon back design. It reminded me of home and how much my culture means to me. When I seen this bag it drew me in and I knew it was the perfect one. 

Lucia, Leslie and Aldwin learning how to make thread.
Today we learned how the processing of the plant fibers into thread. It was a long process and took a lot of time. Lucia showed us how to do it. The first step was to combine them together and you had to use your toes! Here they were combining small portions together using their hands to roll/twist them together. Once the whole bundle was processed the first step was complete. Then we had to further roll them together and this time you used your thigh to roll it on. It was very time consuming. Lucia said it takes 80-100 threads to make one bag. The coloring of the bags are naturally dyed as well. I got the opportunity to make some threads as well and it was very hard work. My thigh turned bright red because of how much rubbing you have to do. After we made our threads, Lucia showed us how to make a tiny bag (super tiny). This whole process made me appreciate the bag I purchased that much more. Lucia told us that making these bags is how they make money and if they don't make money they don't eat.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday 12/18/19 Departure and Presentations

Friday 12/20/19 Traveling Home

Friday 12/13/19 All things Beautiful